TheRundown Launches Live Chainlink Node to Supply U.S. Sports Results On-Chain
We’re pleased to announce that TheRundown has launched our own Chainlink node live on mainnet, bringing real-time sports results on-chain. We will start out by supplying signed US sports match results, such as from the NBA and NHL. This means it’s now possible for developers to create new smart contract applications centered specifically around U.S. sports, such as prediction markets, fantasy games, NFTs, and more
We selected Chainlink because it’s the most time-tested and widely used oracle network in the blockchain industry. The Chainlink node provides us with a secure and easy-to-integrate framework for getting our existing APIs “blockchain enabled,” exposing them to a wide set of emerging blockchain markets. The node setup process was quick and seamless, with minimal technical efforts on our end.
Through the Chainlink node, we can now sell data from any of our APIs directly to developers across the leading blockchains. Additionally, we will cryptographically sign that data on-chain to prove its origin as being from TheRundown, further adding to its security as a reference point for the automated settlement of various sports-based contracts. For more information on why we opted to use Chainlink to monetise our data for blockchain markets, check our previous announcement. To learn about how to access our node, visit here.
TheRundown is the leading platform for real-time odds, scores, stats, and unrivaled insights into the sports betting marketplace. We provide real-time odds from the most popular sportsbooks (e.g. 5Dimes, Pinnacle, Bookmaker), sports (e.g. NFL, NBA, UFC), and markets (e.g. moneyline, spreads, totals). Our API is extremely fast and in turn powers our Odds Comparison site, where you'll be able to see odds changes occurring the very second that they occur at each bookmaker we list.
Given the rise in decentralized finance (DeFi) and blockchain gaming, we see great opportunity in making our multitude of data APIs available to smart contracts as a means of supporting blockchain-based prediction markets, fantasy sports games, and more. These applications require sports data and odds in order to accurately price markets and determine outcomes, whether that be the current odds on a game, the final match score, or individual stats on a player’s performance.
However, smart contracts cannot natively make API calls to external systems that exist outside the blockchain (off-chain). They require an additional piece of middleware infrastructure known as a blockchain oracle. Oracles retrieve external data on behalf of the smart contract, attest to its accuracy (through digital signatures), aggregate it (when using multiple sources/nodes), and broadcast it onto the blockchain so smart contracts can use the data in its execution.
After reviewing various oracle technologies, we found the Chainlink Network to offer the most secure, reliable, and flexible oracle solution on the market. Some of the key features we identified with Chainlink that we did not find on other oracle solutions include:
- Data Signing Capabilities – Chainlink nodes cryptographically sign every piece of data they supply to blockchains, allowing us to prove the integrity of our data as being directly from TheRundown APIs.
- Accessibility to Any Blockchain – Chainlink nodes can provide oracle services to any blockchain, creating a single gateway from which we can sell data to all blockchains that exist both now and in the future.
- Large Market of Users – the Chainlink Network is the most widely used oracle solution in the blockchain ecosystem, presenting us with a large accessible market of potential users that are already familiar with and relying on Chainlink.
- Proven Security Framework – Chainlink oracles are thoroughly audited open-source software and collectively secure billions of dollars in value for live applications, serving as a proven in-production model for securing the movement of real economic value.
We’re confident that joining the Chainlink Network will allow us to become part of the industry standard, both for smart contracts relaying on its oracle services and data providers selling their data/APIs through it. We look forward to proving our reputation as a trusted sports data and odds provider in the Chainlink Network, supplying high-quality, origin-signed data directly to smart contracts to support fair and secure sports-based decentralized applications.
“Running a Chainlink oracle node allows us to grow and monetize our APIs, as well as take a more active role in provisioning new blockchain markets via supplying cryptographically signed up-to-the-minute sports odds, scores, stats, and more. We’re now able to expand what developers can create on the blockchain and can’t wait to support smart contract development teams building the future of blockchain-based sports markets,” said Gavin Wood, TheRundown President.
Chainlink is the most widely used and secure way to power universal smart contracts. With Chainlink, developers can connect any blockchain with high-quality data sources from other blockchains and real-world data. Managed by a global, decentralized community of hundreds of thousands of people, Chainlink introduces a fairer model for contracts. Its network currently secures billions of dollars in value for smart contracts across the decentralized finance (DeFi), insurance and gaming ecosystems, among others.
Chainlink is trusted by hundreds of organizations to deliver definitive truth via secure, reliable data feeds. To learn more, visit chain.link, subscribe to the Chainlink newsletter, and follow @chainlink on Twitter.
TheRundown was founded in 2018, born out of a realisation that there was no credible platform offering a comparison of real-time, accurate sports betting odds. Simply put, we thought that we could do it better.
From the very first day we have built our company from the bottom up by using the very latest technology to ensure that we are able to access odds movements as they occur, and display scores as they are updated. A sports gambler needs to possess a wide range of tools in order to be successful, such as being able to see betting movements and the state of the market at a glance, as well as identifying which bookmaker currently offers the best odds for a chosen market. Our goal is to provide all of these tools.
We currently offer:
- An API for automated consumption of our data through third party software;
- An odds comparison website showing real time odds for a number of sports, bookmakers and markets;
- Graphical and tabular tools allowing users to see every historical odds movement as it occurred;
- An ‘average odds’ tool which can be used to compare and contrast the odds for your favourite bookmaker against the market average;
- Live scores and results;
- A blog providing regular educational content from our resident professional sports gambler, Gavin Wood;